Radon Testing

RADON TESTING

radon-testing

Radon is a radioactive element that is part of the radioactive decay chain of naturally occurring uranium in soil. You can’t see, smell, or taste it. Unlike carbon monoxide and many other home pollutants, radon’s adverse health effect, lung cancer, is usually not produced immediately, thus you may be exposed to radon for many years without ever suspecting its presence in your home.

Radon is a radioactive gas. It comes from the natural decay of uranium that is found in nearly all soils. It typically moves up through the ground to the air above and into your home through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Your home traps radon inside, where it can build up. Any home may have a radon problem. This means new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements.

The only way to know if you have an elevated level of radon is to test. To determine if your home has elevated radon levels, we will perform a short term test of at least 48 hours. The test devices must remain undisturbed for 48 to 96 hours under closed house conditions and be placed in the lowest livable area of the home. Depending upon the results we may advise you take another short term test prior to considering mitigation. All test results are analyzed and verified by an independent laboratory.

Testing is relatively easy, quick and inexpensive. If you have elevated radon in your home the cost to mitigate is very modest compared to the health of your family and pets.

Base cost for this service is $150.00

Total cost is based on structure square footage and quantity of test canisters used.